Apply for Your Child to Attend Free Preschool
Your child may qualify for free Cabarrus County Preschool in the 2022-2023 school year!
Complete one application and submit your information one time to see if your child is eligible to attend NC Pre-K or Kannapolis Head Start. Continue on to the instructions below to get started on your child's preschool application.
Children must be 3 or 4 years of age on or before August 31, 2022 to be considered for Pre-K programs in Cabarrus County.
Applications are still being accepted for the 2022-2023 school year. Completed applications with all required documents are required in order to be considered.
To make sure your child’s application can be processed and considered for placement in one of the Preschool Programs, please be sure to follow all instructions for submitting the application carefully.
- Instrucciones para Llenar la Solicitud
- Required Documents/Forms
- Submitting Your Application
- Submit by Email, Fax or Drop Box
- Submit the Application & Supporting Documents Online
- Application Packet & Required Forms
If you have any questions, please call 704-933-8278 Opt. 1.
Children must be three (3) or four (4) years old by August 31, 2022.
NC Pre-K: All sources of family income cannot exceed 75% of the North Carolina median income/Public School sites must also meet Federal/TANF Poverty Guidelines.
Head Start: All sources of family income cannot exceed 100% of the federal poverty level
Other: Other risk factors may be considered for eligibility including, but not limited to, developmental need, as indicated by a developmental screening, homelessness as defined by the McKinney-Vento Act, separation from parent due to incarceration, and foster care placement.
All applications must be COMPLETE. This includes having ALL supporting documentation submitted with the application.
- Child’s Birth Certificate, (Mother’s Verification of Facts’ form is NOT ACCEPTABLE)
- Documentation of All income for parents living in the household who are working: one month of check stubs, employer letter or, other income documentation (Form 1040 Tax Return, W-2’s is acceptable). Also, proof of SSDI/SSA benefits, and/or proof of child support, if applicable or, documentation of No Income Statement. Parents do not have to be employed for the child to be eligible.
- Current Health Assessment/Immunizations and a dental screening
- Copy of child’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) if applicable
- If you are a court-ordered legal guardian of the child, please provide a copy of the court order or foster care authorization form. This must be included to process the application.
For questions, call 704-933-8278 opt 1.
Complete the Site Preference Form
The Program Preference Form is part of the application (page 10). Your selections do not guarantee placement at any site, but allows you to indicate location(s) you are able to provide transportation for your child and you are able to access before and after school care if needed. Please note program specific eligibility requirements below.
Completed applications and supporting documents can be submitted online at the end of this application or by email, fax or drop box locations listed at the bottom of this page.
Developmental Screening Appointments
(Subject to COVID-19 Restrictions)
Prior to placement, all children will be screened using the Dial 4 Developmental Assessment Screening Tool. After we have reviewed your application with the required documentation, a staff member will be in touch to schedule a screening appointment for the next available screening event. Children who currently have an active Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and receiving services from the local LEA (school district) will not need to be re-screened.
Placement Status Notification
- 1st round placement notifications will take place mid to late June.
- 2nd round placements for any unfilled spots will take place mid to late July.
- Any remaining slots will be filled prior to August school start date.
Waiting Lists for Pre-K
Space is limited and some children will be placed on a wait list. Any remaining, completed applications after all slot placements are made will be placed on a waiting list. Applications received after initial placements will automatically be placed on a waitlist. You will be notified if a space becomes available at any time during the school year.
Download the preschool application and complete ALL sections. Submit the application with all required documentation in order to avoid delays in processing your child's application.
The Cabarrus Partnership for Children will not be responsible for applications turned in at locations not listed below. You will be given or mailed a receipt that is dated and signed by the person who accepted your application at these locations. Please keep your receipt and the cover page that provides additional information about Pre-K programs and the enrollment process.
Applications can be emailed, faxed or dropped off at any of the following locations
Cabarrus Partnership for Children
- Phone: 704-933-8278
- Fax: 704-934-0029
- Drop Box: Cabarrus County DHS 1303 S Cannon Blvd Kannapolis 28083
The Mary Frances Wall Center
- Phone: 704-260-6790
- Fax: 704-784-2346
- Drop Box: 3801 Hwy 601 S Concord NC 28025
McKnight Child Development Center Head Start
- Phone: 704-932-7433
- Drop Box: 1300 Glen Ave. Kannapolis, NC 28081
- Drop Boxes also at all Kannapolis City Elementary Schools
**Funding for Pre-K programs is provided by state and federal sources. Eligibility criteria for a particular site depends upon the funding requirements.**
The Cabarrus Partnership for Children, McKnight Child Development Center, Kannapolis City Schools, Cabarrus County Schools and Save the Children Head Start, will share application information. This will allow your child to be considered for all Pre K programs in the county for which your child is determined eligible.
In compliance with federal and state laws, The Cabarrus Partnership for Children, McKnight Child Development Center, Kannapolis City Schools, and Cabarrus County Schools administer all programs and admissions /selections for Pre-K programs without discrimination because of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, color, age, military service, disability or gender, except where exemption is appropriate and allowed by law.
Required documents and a link to the online application form is listed in the section below.